So here is an update on the Hugelcultur bed. I have been putting compost over everything. It's about five feet high now.
I noticed its coming out at a steep angle, which is good from evreything I've read. But I don't want to lose a lot of top soil from the rain before anything comes up so I made these little stakes to put in, from maple:
Then I put them in and criss crossed them with Cane from some Jerusalem artichokes. This grid should hold the soul in while roots have time to grow into it.
I ended up using up all the compost. It was really rich compost with lots of worms and bugs and fungus and even a snake! It was great to work with this living medium. Next I put a few bucket loads of alpaca manure on. I should be ready to plant in a few days. I am thinking squash lettuce and some types of perenials.